Sunday, April 16, 2006

Steroids in Baseball

I finished reading Game of Shadows, which was light and fluffy. The overall messages are that steroids are rampant in baseball, MLB is doing as little as possible, and Barry Bonds has been let off lightly. I understand all the BALCO details better now, but I can’t say the book told me a whole lot I didn’t already know.

One less reported outcome of the entire affair is the crackdown on amphetamines, which have been common in baseball for decades. I wonder whether we’ll see any difference, maybe late in the season, when players often use them frequently to recover.

I am also concerned that the Padres may need numerous performance-enhancing drugs to compete this year. There was some spark in today’s comeback victory against the Braves, but lately we’ve just been shelled while scoring no runs. Maybe the West will stay weak enough to win.

2 comments:

Anonymous,  5:46 PM  

Bonds seems to be doing his part to keep the NL West weak!

Greg Weeks 6:53 PM  

To Barry: keep up the bad work. If he flops this year, the Padres may just have a chance.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP