Saturday, April 19, 2008

Writing book proposals

Notorious Ph.D. offers some good advice about writing book proposals. I've reviewed a number of pretty bad ones, and so her emphasis on clarity--which seems obvious but is too often neglected--should always be kept in mind. But I also like her discussion of making it interesting.

Be interesting quickly. I suck at this. It's why online dating didn't work out for me. Maybe my proposal needs a push-up bra. I'm not sure how I'm going to get there in my own proposal, but I do know that I've got to get it out there in the first paragraph, rather than embrace my own tendency to meander.

2 comments:

Anonymous,  2:27 PM  

A modest (literally) proposal:

Indent a little more when you quote there or italicize. I thought you were writing that your proposal needs a push-up bra . . .

Greg Weeks 2:29 PM  

Yes, that is what she wrote. It was just a joke about the proposal needing to get more attention.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP