Wednesday, May 07, 2014

China's Nicaragua Canal

Reuters takes a look at Chinese funding of the Nicaraguan canal. One entrepreneur, Wang Jing, with some connection (extent currently unknown) to the Chinese government is behind it. The article takes what I consider an appropriately cautious stance about how successful the venture likely will be.

I couldn't help but compare him to Ferdinand de Lesseps, who gave up on the Panama Canal. But that comparison may not be too apt because at least de Lesseps had some experience.

Nicaragua has dreamed of a canal for over a century so I can understand Daniel Ortega's temptation, and China clearly has money. But on this one I still take a wait and see attitude.




1 comments:

Anonymous,  9:21 AM  

I couldn't think about a Nicaragua Canal for more than a few seconds without requiring a Spanish translation for "honest graft".

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP